Monday, March 22, 2010

Childhood memories!

Today on SCS, Holly's challenge was to reach back into our memory and pull out some favorite childhood activities or events, then make a card based on one of those memories/events.

I have two cards/memories to share with you today.



This card is a memory of playing dress up with my Mom's clothes. One particular outfit was my favorite - a turquoise and black striped satin skirt with a velvet bodice. The skirt was very full and we wore her big old petticoats under it to make it really stand out. Now the shoes! She had these gorgeous turquoise suede high heels with a big satin bow. Oh they were beautiful! I wish I still had them or at least a photo of her in the outfit. I can even remember the smell of the tulle of the petticoats. What a beautiful memory.

The high heel image was stamped onto black cardstock with Frost ink and then embossed with Mint Sparkle embossing powder. I then cut cardstock using Mega Curved Rectangles die with image near bottom. I removed the cardstock from the die and inked die with Versamark Frost ink. Carefully put cut cardstock back into die and emboss with Spellbinders Flourish Impressabilities. Remove from die and heat emboss outer edge using Mint Sparkle embossing powder. Stamp sentiment on white cardstock with frost ink and emboss with Mint Sparkle embossing powder. Cut/emboss with oval die. Cut/emboss center Pendant die from Turquoise Shimmer cardstock. Mount onto card front using 3D foam squares. Attach sentiment oval on top of center piece using 3D foam, squares. Cut about 18” of white silk ribbon and airbrush with Copic marker to match the card. Using a 6” length of ribbon, attach both ends to back of turquoise layer. Tie bow from remaining length of ribbon and attach to top of sentiment piece with glue dot. Attach completed card front to black card.




This card is based on my memories of playing Barbies with my sister. We spent hours with our dolls. This image reminds me of Barbie, and of course the colors are definitely Barbie, don't you think?

The image is stamped with memento black ink and clear embossed before being cut/embossed and mounted using Spellbinders Labels Four. I added dots with a black marker. Behind the image panel, I embossed the dots with Cuttlebug's Just My Type border folder. The edge of the card was cut/embossed with Spellbinders Lattice Borderabilities. I wove a black ribbon through and added the bow using pink grosgrain and the narrow black ribbon. There is a black strip added to the inside of the card to show through the Lattice. The black strip is also embossed with the dots, but you can't see that in the photo.

Did you play Barbies too?

Thanks for walking down memory lane with me today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both cards are wonderful, Karen! I love the high heel and beautiful embossed turquoise! That was my Mom's favorite color. The pink and black card is great with the three panels. I love the embossed dots and pretty lattice border, with the added ribbon! Sue (suen)